Sunday, April 2, 2017
SSQG Minutes --3/16/17
SSQG Meeting 3/16/17
Minutes taken by Becky F.
1. President (Sharon H.) called the meeting to order 6:34
2. Sign in, Welcome to 15 current members and 5 new members (Janell Crosslin, Tonya Nichols, Karen Williams, Wanda Hoffman, and Andrea Keith).
3. Reading of the minutes and motion to accept
a. Motion made by : Elsie H.
b. Motion seconded by Karol G.
c. Accepted by membership? Yes
4. Reports of officers
a. Treasurer’s report (Cheryl A.)
i. Beginning Balance: $1031.66
ii. Deposits: 12
iii. Expenditures: none
iv. Ending Balance: $1143.66
v. Motion to accept:
1. Motion made by: Mynan G.
2. Motion seconded by: Sharon H.
3. Accepted by membership? Yes
b. VP/Programming (Mynan) – Paula Toups tonight. We will have Daisy Comeaux next month. Mynan will send materials list to make fabric roses.
c. Secretary (Becky F.)- minutes were sent out.
d. Historian/Blog site (Marilyn H.) will put up Mystery quilt directions on the blog (www.sassistrippersquiltguild.blogspot.com).
e. Unfinished projects (UFOs) Kathy S.- Projects must be started in 2016 or before and completely finished (quilting and binding) to qualify. Marilyn H showed 2 bed quilts that she had completed.
f. Tabs (Cheryl A.) – collected
g. Door prizes (Valerie K.) –All door prize donations accepted.
Tonight’s winners: 1. Wanda Hoffman
2. Elsie Hamway
h. Just Do It (Sharon H.)- Proposal to visit Block Therapy in Gautier, Mississippi with possible stops in Slidell and Abita Springs on the way home. Sign up with Sharon H. if you are interested in the trip.
i. Quilt Show- no report
j. Charity Quilts (Cheryl A. and Merlene L)- Merlene brought tops that were donated by Jan Kennedy who teaches at JoAnn’s. Members were asked to take tops and quilt them.
Pam T. made a motion to buy batting for the charity quilts, seconded by Kathy S., accepted by the membership.
Merlene and Cheryl also reported that 43 bears were brought to OLOL and 43 bears were brought to Cancer Services. We received a thank you note from OLOL.
5. Unfinished business – Step 1 for the Mystery Quilt was explained by Mynan and new members were given directions for materials. Directions will be attached to minutes and put on the blog, also.
6. New business- none
7. Tonight’s Program – Paula Toups
Paula has designed for Norcott and thread for Valdani and has a pattern company called Bayou Patch Designs. She teaches the chenille technique and thread painting through GSQA and local quilt shops.
Her trunk show consisted of quilts, runners, rugs, and garments of her own designs. A variety of techniques were shown including stain glass; raw edge applique with thread painting; chenille rugs, wall hangings, and vests; and Wool applique (Halloween quilt). She also showed a quilt from her book Gumbo Ya-Ya.
If members are interested in a chenille rug class, contact Sharon H. for details.
8. Show and Tell – Sharon H. showed a child’s zebra top for her granddaughter and an Honor quilt made in LSU colors for an auction.
a. Next meeting is April 20th
10. Adjournment at 8:17 pm
Posted by thelibrarylady at 7:56 PM