Thursday, June 23, 2011
Here's a reminder that the next Quilt show preparation meeting will be held at 10am this Saturday, 25 June 2011. We will meet at my house which is less than 10 minutes from the library. Contact me at email@example.com if you need the address.
After the prep meeting we will again have a Sew In to work on the charity quilts. All guild members are invited. Valerie Barth turned the fabric tub over to me so there is plenty of material for backs, more cutting, etc.
See you then,
Sunday, June 19, 2011
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Sorry for the late notice, but I have been in the heat all day!
Sassi Strippers Quilt Guild Meeting is Thursday, June 16th, 6:30p.m. Jones Creek Library. Daisy Comeaux will demonstrate the fabric roses, so please bring a fat quarter to make your own rose. Also, Merlene will go over how to make hanging sleeves, so we can get our quilts ready to hang for the show in August. If you have a quilt that needs a sleeve and you are not sure how to put it on, bring it to the meeting. We will be going over the details of the upcoming quilt show.
There are plenty of things to do to get ready for the show, so we are also having a separate "Quilt Show Planning Meeting" on Saturday, June 18th from 11:30 to 12:30 at Arby's on Jones Creek, everyone is invited. After the meeting we will head over to the Library from 1-4 to work on our charity quilts.
See you there,
**Bring to the Meeting**
Fat Quarter to make your rose.
June Fat Quarter Drawing Color is Polka Dots-your choice of color
Fabric Strips for exchange - Color is Yellow
Show and Tell
Solid Fabric for Charity Quilts (2yd pieces)
Tabs from Cans
Cards for St. Jude's Ranch
List of completed UFO's
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Sassi Strippers Quilt Guild
May 19, 2011 Meeting Minutes
Jones Creek Library
President Linda Baumann opened the meeting at 6:35pm.
Treasurer’s report was given by Glenda Parks at the request of Paula St. Romain in her absence. “The amount in the treasury is $1143.83 and we have 22 members.”
A copy of the club roster was given by Glenda from Paula to each member present.
The secretary’s report was accepted as written.
Our guest speaker Lynn Clark from our Baton Rouge Habitat for Humanity Organization told us that in 25 years here 265 homes have been built by local volunteers.
She was delighted that our guild voted to design & complete one (throw) or more quilts to be auctioned off in November at their Annual Fundraiser to be held at The Arts Council on
Laurel St. The finished quilts will be due in mid October. The guild will possibly make more quilts to be used in the homes as the charity project continues. Glenda will chair Habitat Project & suggested “Wonky House” from Bonnie Hunters website at Quiltville.com.
Habitat For Humanity is also having a contest to make objects of art out of items donated to their Restore. Those interested in creating may go to - habitbr.org/artist call - to request a $50.00 gift certificate to purchase Restore artifacts to create your Art idea for competition in the contest.
Valarie Barth announced a sew day for charity quilt making for Saturday May 21st from 9 – 1 at the library.
New Business – Our Second Annual August Quilt Show:
Becky Fincher will Chair our show with Glenda Parks as co-chair. The guild has hangers for the quilts to be hung.
Valarie Barth will be in charge of publicity.
Becky Fincher will send an e-mail to members.
Suggestions were made were;
1. Take a picture of each quilt you plan to enter with size measurements as soon as possible. That way a plan for where each quilt will be hung can be drawn up in advance & members can bring their quilts & other items on set up day & be put into place. Quilts & other items could be picked up on take down day at shows end.
2. A guest book was made so that guests could sign & add their comments on the show.
3. A Viewer’s Choice was suggested for guests to choose their favorite quilt in the show. Ribbons could be provided by Glenda & awarded to the winning exhibitors.
4. Demonstrations of quilting related subjects were requested to be provided again this year to educate guests attending our show. Unlimited entry was requested.
5. Betty Braud will do a demo on making a fabric hanging sleeve at our June meeting. Each entered quilt must have a fabric hanging sleeve on the back with fabric sewn on by hand substantially to the rear layer of quilt to support quilt’s weight on PVC pipe hanger. The sleeve can Not be pinned on.
6. Have an article placed in the library newsletter combining a charity event with our Quilt Show.
7. Plan to present activities for children to take part in & do hands on. She requested help with this project, ideas you may have & manning the project on the day of the show. Karol volunteered to help.
The Program “Making Your Own Fabric” was presented by Glenda Parks. She explained & demonstrated how to take your scraps of fabric left from other projects and sew pieces to create new fabric with out giving a large amount of time color of each piece. She invited members present to try their hand at the process on her machine. Much interest was shown by members as they enjoyed her presentation.
The next meeting will be the 3rd Thursday – June 16th at 6:30 at the Jones Creek Library.
Fat Quarter Lotto was won by Karol _ Door Prizes were won by April & Jan
Please Note; Fat Quarter Lotto for June color selection is Polka Dots, your choice of color selection.
Fabric Strip Color for participants is Yellow.
Show & Tell was held.
Meeting was adjourned at 8:45pm.
Fourteen were present: Caroline Derbes, Linda Baumann, Jan Delgehhausen, Jessie Comeaux, Norma McDaniel, Karol Guidry, Glen Parks, Valerie Valle, April Reeves, Elsie Hamway, Betty Braud, Valerie Barth, Merlene Lewis and Becky Fincher.