Tuesday, March 15, 2016
SSQG Meeting Minutes
February 18, 2016
Minutes taken by Linda Baumann
- President/Call to order (Pam T.) – 6:51pm
- Sign In, Welcome to Members and Guests – 13 members (including welcoming back to the SSQG, Linda Baumann & Valerie Kazlauskas) attended along with 1 guest.
- Reading of the minutes and motion to accept –
- Motion made by: Elsie H
- Motion seconded by: Karol G
- Accepted by membership- yes
- Reports of officers and committees
- Treasurer’s report (Elsie H) –
- Beginning Balance: $923.86
- Deposits: no deposits
- Expenditures: $47.54
- Ending Balance: $876.32
- Motion to accept:
- Motion made by: Marilyn H
- Motion seconded by: Betty B
- Accepted by membership - yes
- President (Pam T) – Pam T presented an interactive slide show of the 2015 Kaleidoscope Quilt Show & announced that there is a vacancy for the Secretary position due to Valerie V moving to Florida in the near future. Valerie V is available for any questions or assistance needed in reference to the Secretary duties.
- VP/Programming (Sharon H) – Mynan G presented the program for February on “Microwave Bowl Buddies”.
- Secretary (Linda B) – Linda B volunteered to take over as Secretary for the remainder of the year. Valerie K volunteered to be the backup. Linda B will resume the duties of taking the minutes at the meeting, forward them to Pam T to verify approve & email to all the members. Marilyn H will then post them to the blog.
- Blog (Marilyn H) (sassistrippersquiltguild.blogspot.com) - Marilyn H volunteered to resume the duties of the Blog Administrator.
- Historian (Marilyn H) – Marilyn H will continue to add picture links and organize notebooks that include pictures, articles highlighting SSQG activities.
- Unfinished Projects (UFOs – Kathy S) – 3 UFO’s were shown this month by Merlene L
Pam explained that UFO’s are quilts that are finished all the way to the binding. They are started before December 31, 2015 & finished during the year of 2016.
- Tabs (Betty B) – Tabs continue to be collected for the Ronald McDonald House.
- Door Prizes (Renee H) –Winners of the door prizes were Marilyn H, Valerie V, Cheryl A, Valerie K. Mynan also received one for presenting February’s program.
- Just Do It (Pam T) - Valerie V showed a quilt that was done in the “Hack and Slash” fashion.
- Quilt Show (SSQG membership) – Pam asked the members if they would like to not have a committee again this year where all members contribute to the Quilt Show like last year. The theme for 2016 is “Anything Goes”.
- Charity Quilts/Projects (Merlene L & Cheryl A) –
- Pam T announced that she is so impressed & has been able to see firsthand what the cancer society does for someone battling cancer.
- Merlene read a thank you note from OLOL thanking us for the bears donated to the Children’s Hospital. Merlene gave a tally of bears that have been made since 2011 (2,907 bears). In 2015 (545) bears completed which surpassed Pam’s challenge of 500. The 2016 challenge is 550.
- Linda B suggested that the McMains Center be considered as a charity in the future. It was
discussed and we will revisit and vote on charities in 2017.
- Renee H motioned to keep charities as OLOL Children’s Hospital and Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge. Elsie H 2nd the motion & the membership agreed.
- Unfinished Business –
- No unfinished business.
- New Business -
a) Program Report – Mynan presented a demo on making “Microwave Bowl Buddies” & directions were given out to the membership.
- Show and Tell – Renee H showed a very nice poster to fabric duplicate wall hanging she is working on. Elsie H presented a beautiful quilt that she used a saucer to draw curves and then quilted them herself on her machine.
- Announcements –.
- Renee H – talked about the sew day for Quilts of Valor that there was a big turnout. Seventy people attended and helped to sew and assemble quilts. Also, quilts were presented to Veterans.
- Gaye Smith and Debbie Kelly started a group that meets once a month at the Fairwood Library on Old Hammond Hwy. The name of the group is “Montage” English paper piecing. The next meeting is scheduled for February 28th from 2p.m.-5p.m.
- SSQG next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 18th, 2016 at 6:30 p.m.
- Adjournment – 8:31pm
Posted by thelibrarylady at 6:37 PM